Before continuing with this article, it must be stressed that the following is for general information only and is not intended in any way to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health professionals if you have any concerns about your healthparticularly during the flue season. These natural cures may not be applicable to everyone and could be detrimental to your overall health if not discussed with your physician as to possible interaction with any prescribed medication you may be taking.
Some of the time-honored natural cures that have been used for centuries to prevent colds and flu, reduce symptoms, or shorten the duration of colds and flu are showing promising results in research studies. There are a variety of herbs, supplements, and food remedies. Listed below are five that have received favorable results.
1. Kimchi, Sauerkraut, Kefir, and Yogurt
Kimchi (pronounced kim’-chee) is a Korean spicy fermented side dish that has been getting a lot of press since the BBC published a report by scientists in Seoul, Korea who found that 11 of 13 chickens infected with the avian flu started to recover after they were fed an extract of kimchi. It is important to note that there have been no published reports of its effect on people affected with the new strain of avian flu. The key ingredient is thought to be a natural organic acid called lactic acid, that’s also found in sauerkraut, milk, yogurt, kefir (a yogurt-like effervescent beverage), meat, and beer. In
fact recent reports also show sauerkraut being used to treat chickens.
Another one of the natural cures that has attracted a lot of attention is the berry extract from elderberry (Sambucus nigra) which contains more than one compound that’s active against flu viruses. One of the many ways it works is by preventing the virus from attacking cells. A study found a 50% reduction in the severity and duration of symptoms in adults and children
after taking an elderberry extract.
Health food stores carry elderberry juice, syrup, and capsules suitable for adults and kids. Only commercially prepared elderberry products made from the berry extract should be used, because the fresh leaves, flowers, bark, young buds, unripe berries, and roots contain cyanide and can result in cyanide poisoning. This is definitely not a do it yourself natural cure that you can prepare!
The herb ginseng, used in Asia for over 2000 years, made headlines recently after a double-blind placebo-controlled study published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal found that a ginseng extract reduced the number of upper respiratory infections by 25% during a four month period. The treatment group took two 200 mg capsules of a ginseng extract every day for
four months and reported reduced symptoms, duration of infections, and infection recurrence.
Ginseng can have hormonal effects. Some studies suggest that ginseng can boost estrogen levels, so it should not be on the list of natural cures for women with breast cancer. Ginseng should also be avoided by people taking blood sugar medication or antidepressants known as MAO inhibitors, by children, people with high blood pressure, or by pregnant or nursing women.
Astragalus doesn’t come with nearly as many warnings as ginseng. The dried root of astragalus is a popular ingredient in traditional Chinese herbal formulas. It’s now used in the United States to strengthen the immune system and prevent colds and flu. Herbalists recommend it as an immune tonic for people who tend to catch colds frequently.
Preliminary research has shown astragalus can stimulate immune function in humans. It can be found in capsule form at health food stores or as a dried root in Chinese herbal shops and some health food stores. Because of its mild taste, the dried root can be added to soups. The dried root is light yellow and the size and shape of a tongue depressor. A typical daily dose is 9 to 15 g of the dried root, which equals about 3 to 4 slices. Traditionally in Asia, people took astragalus soup once a week throughout the winter. The dose is individual, and people with increased exposure or compromised immune systems may require more. Note: Herbalists do not recommend taking astragalus if you’re already sick.
Another on the list of popular natural cures: A cup of hot ginger tea is not only invigorating , it is also a great cold fighter. Ginger contains compounds that have been found to be active against rhinoviruses, the most common group of cold viruses. Ginger is a diaphoretic, meaning it fights colds by gently raising body temperature and promoting perspiration.
Note: Ginger is also a blood thinner. Talk to your doctor before taking it if you are taking blood thinners.
Topics Covered In The Book
Water & Food:
- The 2 common water storage containers that are breeding grounds for bacteria that could kill you so you know to avoid them…
- The “two bucket” water purification method that produces 170 gallons of fresh drinking water a day (with complete plans) so you’ll have unlimited water when you need it…
- The 21 dried foods you MUST have stored to remain self-contained until the threat passes so your family can eat when grocery stores are bare…
- How to grow fresh greens, sprouts and other veggies you can eat in as little as 7 days from planting and where to get the best seeds FREE so you’ll be OK if situations last longer than expected…
Energy & Self-Sufficiency:
- How to reduce energy and heat to cook by 70% with this special pot that only costs about $17 at Wal-Mart” so your cooking fuel last 3X longer…
- Why having cash on hand is a good idea, how much and the 5 best places to hide it so you can barter if needed
- How to recharge batteries an UNLIMITED number of times just using the sun so you can power your devices forever…
- The one radio you MUST have in your house that 99.5% of all homes don’t have so you’ll know what’s going on and how to prepare.
- The old “sailor trick” to double the protection of any home in any situation, even a pandemic, so you have a HUGE advantage over everyone else…
- How to train your dog to act when strangers are near your home so you know when and how to protect yourself…
- The 7 items to keep in your car to protect you when you must travel during an outbreak…
- The formula for the ULTIMATE protection against infection, so even our youngest family members remain disease free.
- The 14 home treatments you’ll need to treat the sick if medical help is not available so you can get by until help arrives…
- The 5 essential items you MUST have to keep disease from spreading inside your own home for 14 days or longer so you can weather any stor
- One type of transportation to avoid like the plague if a major pandemic is spreading so you are never at risk of infection