Flu is a respiratory infection caused by a variety of flu viruses. Flu is contagious and if you’re around someone who coughs or sneezes, or simply touch any object already touched by someone contaminated with flu, you’re bound to contract the infection, especially the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
Flu symptoms are easy to detect though they may appear few days later. Flu spreads at the slightest contact and before you feel the symptoms on yourself, you might have passed it to others. Symptoms include – body aches, chills, dry cough, fever, headache, sore throat and stuffy nose.
If there is flu epidemic in air, avoid crowded places like cinema halls, theaters, shopping centers, etc as virus spreads easily.
- Keep distance from people who sneeze and cough.
- Give up smoking and drinking alcohol as it can injure your respiratory tract and impair your resistance, making you more susceptible to flu.
- Wash your hands frequently in order to reduce your chance of infection.
- Reduce stress as stressed people are more prone to falling ill easily.
- Include low sweets diet and avoid fried foods.
- Avoid exposure to dust, chemicals as well as sudden and extreme temperature changes.
Since flu spreads at the slightest of contact, one should stay at home till fully recovered. It is best to rest in the bed as you will feel sick and tired to do anything else. If you are doing work despite being sick, you’re prone to more complications.
Liquids are important as you can get the much needed nutrients when you don’t feel like eating and it also keeps you from being dehydrated. Drink lots of liquids like water, soups, veg or non veg and other fluids like fruit juices. Beet and carrot juice, both are rich in nutrients. Fruit juice mixed with water in equal quantity and dash of sugar provides the necessary glucose.
By humidifying your room there will be less discomfort of a cough, sore throat or dry nasal passages. If youre blowing your nose continuously, it will be sore and red. Lubricate your nostrils with petroleum jelly products to decrease the irritation. For tired achy muscles, ease away the pain with a warm compress. Soak your feet in hot water to alleviate any headache or nasal congestion.
Ensure that your room has plenty of fresh air supply all the times. Prevent chills by wearing warm, close fitting clothes. Ask someone to give you a back rub as it activates the immune system to fight the flu. During flu, one should eat lightly. Snack on fruits, cereals, boiled food, etc.
If a sore or scratchy throat accompanies the flu infection, get relief by gargling with salt water solution. It will wash out any secretions collected in your throat.
- Take a warm tbsp of honey mixed with lemon at night to get quick relief.
- Warm water mixed with lemon and honey is good to loosen phlegm.
- Gargle daily with 1 drop of each of tea tree oil and lemon mixed in glass of warm water. Stir well and do not swallow.
- Add 10-20 drops of either tea tree, eucalyptus, lemon or lavender oil to your hot water bath. This helps your immune system fight the viral infect and ease your symptoms.
- Take 1 tbsp of lukewarm honey mixed with 1/4 tsp of cinnamon powder daily for 3-4 days. It strengthens the immune system and protects the body from bacteria and viral attacks.
Juices of apple, pear, cranberry, pomegranate and dark grapes are often recommended for combating flu as they have properties that work against congestion and runny nose.